In this session we conclude our introduction and begin to dig into this great book. By looking at verses 1-4 of chapter 1 (called by some, the greatest sentence in Greek ever written), we begin to see that Jesus is greater than we ever imagined and more than we could have possibly hoped for.
Fuel Bible Study
The Book of Hebrews: Session II – The Majesty of Christ; 8 Power Truths concerning Jesus
- 7 Benefits of Studying Hebrews (Review)
- Hebrews helps believers stand strong during times of persecution
- It presents to us a highly exalted picture of Jesus.
- Helps us more fully understand the Old Testament and its importance in our lives as New Testament believers
- Helps us more fully understand the gospel
- Enable us to understand Jesus’ Priesthood
- The writer of Hebrews has perfected the art of exhortation and encouragement.
- Will help teach us how to navigate hard to understand passages
8 Power Truths concerning Jesus
1. Jesus is God’s last Word to mankind – Nothing to be added to God’s final revelation
2. Jesus has been appointed heir of all things – Jesus’ obedience took back the authority lost to Satan by Adam and Eve v.2
3. The world was made through Him – Jesus is the Word that created all things v.2
4. Jesus is the radiance of God’s glory – “Just as the radiance of the sun reaches this earth, so in Christ the glorious light of God shines into the hearts of men and women.” F.F. Bruce v.3
5. Jesus is the exact representation of God’s nature – The image on a coin corresponds exactly to the die from which it was cast. In the same way, when we look at Jesus we are seeing the exact representation of God. The image of God. That’s why Jesus told Phillip. If you’ve seen me. You have seen the Father. v.3
6. Jesus upholds all things by the word of His power – He not only created all things by His word, but He holds everything together by His word
7. Jesus made purification of sins – The priesthood of Jesus. He was the priest offering the sacrifice and He Himself was the sacrifice!
8. After that He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high – In the Old Testament, the priest’s work was never done, but when Jesus was done, he was done once and for all. It is finished!
- From the list above of 7 benefits for studying the book of Hebrews which one are you most looking forward to?
- From the same list, are there any benefits that don’t particularly resonate with you?
The following 10 questions will cover the 8 power truths concerning Jesus
- “Jesus is God’s last word to mankind.” What does that mean and why is it so important for us to understand?
- In your own words, explain what you think the phrase “Jesus has been appointed heir of all things” mean?
- “The Universe was made through Jesus.” Share your thoughts on this
- What does “Jesus is the radiance of God’s glory” mean?
- “Hebrews paints a highly exalted picture of Jesus” – What does that mean?
- Just like a coin exactly represents the die from which it was cast, Jesus exactly represents the Father. Can you think of another example or illustration that could explain this truth?
- Have you ever considered the fact that Jesus upholds all things by the word of His power? Share some of your thoughts on this stunning truth
- Jesus made purification for the sins of all mankind. How does that picture Jesus as a priest?
- Jesus is sitting at the “right hand of the Majesty on high” What does somebody’s right hand represent in biblical symbolism?”
- Was there any particular truth about Jesus that really stood out to you tonight?
“You were the Word at the beginning. One with God the Lord Most High. Your hidden glory in creation. Now revealed in You our Christ. What a beautiful Name it is. What a beautiful Name it is. The Name of Jesus Christ my King. What a beautiful Name it is. Nothing compares to this. What a beautiful Name it is The Name of Jesus.” ~ Hillsong Worship