The writer of the book of Hebrews had a huge concern that these believer were in danger of falling away from Christ. Full of wisdom, love, and logic he continues to paint the picture of the excellency, majesty, and superiority of Christ.
In this session we look at chapter 1:4-15 and in it we see Jesus compared to angels. Actually, we find out there is no comparison. Jesus is not in the same league as angels. He, in fact, is God in the flesh. Hallelujah, what a Savior we have!
Fuel Bible Study
The Book of Hebrews: Session III – Jesus Contrasted With the Angels
- 8 Power Truths concerning Jesus (Review)
- Jesus is God’s last Word to mankind – Nothing to be added to God’s final revelation
- Jesus has been appointed heir of all things – Jesus’ obedience took back the authority lost to Satan by Adam and Eve v.2
- The world was made through Him – Jesus is the Word that created all things v.2
- Jesus is the radiance of God’s glory – “Just as the radiance of the sun reaches this earth, so in Christ the glorious light of God shines into the hearts of men and women.” F.F. Bruce v.3
- Jesus is the exact representation of God’s nature – The image on a coin corresponds exactly to the die from which it was cast. In the same way, when we look at Jesus we are seeing the exact representation of God. The image of God. That’s why Jesus told Phillip. If you’ve seen me. You have seen the Father. v.3
- Jesus upholds all things by the word of His power – He not only created all things by His word, but He holds everything together by His word
Jesus made purification of sins – The priesthood of Jesus. He was the priest offering the sacrifice and He Himself was the sacrifice!
- After that He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high – In the Old Testament, the priest’s work was never done, but when Jesus was done, he was done once and for all. It is finished!
- Now that a week has gone by since we went over them, from the list above of 8 Power Truths concerning Jesus, which one has had the greatest impact on you?
- From the same list, are there any other takeaways – profound or practical, that you would like to share?
The next 13 questions will cover verses 4-14
- In various places, (Job 1:6 for example) angels are called sons of God. What is the difference between that title and Jesus’ title as Son of God?
- Angels are pretty amazing! Based on Scripture share some things that are true concerning angels
- What are some Scripture contradicting myths about angels that people believe?
- How can those myths be harmful?
- (Read Rev. 22:8 and 22:9 before answering) In Revelation 22:8, after conversing with an angel, John fell down at his feet to worship him! Why do you think John did that?
- What was the angel’s response to John’s action and how does it relate to tonight’s study?
- How can tonight’s study help somebody who calls themselves a Jehovah’s Witness? (Hint: Archangel Michael)
- Hebrews 1:9 tells us that Jesus loves righteousness and hates lawlessness. How does that impact you as his child?
- Scripture doesn’t tell us what he looks like, but how do you visualize Jesus? Do you see him joyful and smiling? Dour and judgmental? Angry? Etc… share your thoughts
- Hebrews 12:2 tells us that for the joy set before him, Jesus endured the Cross? What was the “joy set before Him”? How does that make you feel?
- Hebrews 1:10 calls Jesus “Lord”. Why is that more significant than it might appear at first glance?
- What is your main takeaway(s) from tonight’s study?
- Do you have any “action items”? Anything from tonight’s study that you want/need to apply to your life?